Elizabeth Bleakley started and helped grow several businesses and understands the risks, rewards, and challenges involved. In addition to over fifteen years of experience as a business attorney, she has over ten years of management experience at several national financial services companies. Her experience helping businesses of all sizes meet their legal needs, prior management experience, and business education work together to provide clients with a practical, straightforward approach to meeting clients’ needs. When it comes to business law in Chicago, Ms. Bleakley is an experienced business attorney who will work hard to get you the results you’re looking for.
Elizabeth also works with clients on business succession planning and helps clients meet their estate planning and probate estate needs. For over ten years, she has helped clients prepare their Wills, Trusts, and Powers of Attorney for Healthcare and for Property, and to fulfill their roles as executors, trustees, administrators, and agents.
Elizabeth is on the Executive Committee of the Board for Meals on Wheels Chicago and is a Director on the Board of the University of Chicago’s Alumni Club of Chicago. She is an active member of both the American Bar Association and the Illinois State Bar Association.
Contact Ms. Bleakley today if you are in need of a business attorney or a probate and estate attorney.
Representative Matters for Elizabeth Bleakley:
- Prepared a $12 million Private Placement Offering for a new technology company and performed related due diligence.
- Prepared asset purchase agreement and advised client on $750,000 purchase of book of business and intellectual property of seller.
- Negotiated executive employment and equity compensation agreement with incoming CEO on behalf of client company, including bonus structure, restrictive covenants, and related employee restricted share purchase agreement.
- Prepared related amendments to client’s governing document.
- Advised client on and prepared Restricted Stock Incentive Plan and related corporate governance documents and revisions.
- Advised client on and prepared documents for $7.5 million investment fund.
- Provided legal services related to funding seven figure commercial real estate development.
- Prepared and advised client on private placement offering of $500,000 of secured notes with warrants bridge financing.
- Resolved trademark cease-and-desist matter for client.
- Prepared and negotiated employment separation agreement for Chief Accounting Officer of a public company.
- Prepared and advised client on amendments to a $5 million exempt securities offering.
- Prepared and advised client on related communications with and voting of shareholders, including preemptive rights.
- Prepared quit claim transfer and assignment of intangible assets, including intellectual property, related to settlement agreement and mutual releases.
- Prepared and advised client on $10 million private offering of common equity.
- Performed due diligence of underlying portfolio company. Reviewed and made proposed revisions for client on Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) seat lease.
- Acted as outside counsel to consumer sales corporation on corporate governance matters and coordinated and oversee outside experts and counsel to the corporation.
- Advised client on and prepared documents related to $2.7 million stock sale of business and advised on and negotiated related executive employment agreement.
- Prepared governance documents for newly formed business entity.
- Formation of holding company, its wholly owned subsidiaries, and related professional registration.
- Analyzed and provided extensive guidance to client on $1.6 million warrant purchase agreement and related escrow.
- Advised client investor on partial redemption agreement for founder’s equity interests.
- Advised client on reduction in staff and prepared related employment separation and release agreements.
- Advised on and prepared a private placement memorandum for $10 million sale of preferred equity.
- Handled communications with corporate shareholders of private companies on various matters, including voting.
- Consulted with client on pursuit of possible business venture with major national retailer.
- Advised client on negotiations and finalized deal on a $580,000 plus earn-out acquisition of broker-dealer book of business.
- Reviewed and advised on FINRA Continuing Membership Application.
- Prepared employee equity compensation plan and filed and obtained an exemption from registration under state securities law.
- Prepared private offering documents for a $750,000 convertible promissory note for safety product.
- Obtained trademark registrations for clients in the restaurant, e-commerce, and fashion design industries.
- Advised client on and assisted with documents and reporting requirements to the Securities and Exchange Commission for mid-sized exempt reporting adviser.
- Negotiated, prepared deal documents, and closed $900,000 buy-out of business partner.
- Advised client on establishing an advisory board to the Board of Directors and prepare advisory board member agreement.
- Negotiated and advised client on terms and conditions of a $4 million stock sale of a broker-dealer.
- Successfully prosecuted and obtained registration for trademark initially challenged by (USPTO) Trademark Office reviewing attorney.
- Negotiated, advised client on, and finalized expatriate agreement for client.
- Performed forward and reverse stock splits for an e-commerce client. Advised on and prepared transaction documents for a $250,000 purchase and sale of professional services assets.
- Advised client on and prepared rescission and reaffirmation for exempt securities offering.
- Prepared private placement offering documents and advised client on a $1 million offering of preferred shares.
- Negotiated an offer-in-compromise agreement for client with major customer.
- Advised client on and analyzed documents related to client becoming a partner and receiving $750,000 equity stake.
- Prepared profits incentive and operating agreement for dual class operating company.
- Resolved issues and negotiated repatriation issues of overseas employee.
- Negotiated and finalized deal documents for buy-out in excess of $450,000 of partnership and members interests in multiple business ventures.
- Advised client on issues related to $300,000 bridge financing.
- Analyzed private securities offering documents from prior raise and advised client regarding securities law issues related to regulatory enforcement action.
- Prepared employment offer letters, codes of ethics, and restrictive covenant agreements for client.
- Prepared and advised client on special purpose vehicle $1 million revolving line of credit private securities offering.
- Reviewed and advised client on proposed comment letter to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Prepared sub-representative agreement and assisted client in negotiations of terms related to international business contract.
- Assisted clients with transfer and sale of restricted private securities under Rule 144.
- Converted by merger a client S-corporation into a limited liability company.
- Consulted with client on and obtained third-party valuation of client business.
- Work with client on conversions of investor convertible promissory notes and related shareholder communications.
- Advised client on negotiation of purchase of broker-dealer and prepared related stock purchase agreement subsequently closed.
- Consulted with newly formed business client and prepared company’s operating agreement, assignment of software, and intellectual property license agreement for online company.
Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) (2006-present)
Chair – Business and Securities Law Section Council (2016-2017), Member (2010-present)
Chair – Business Advice and Financial Planning Council (2009-2010)
American Bar Association (ABA) (2006-present)
Co-Chair – Emerging Companies Subcommittee, Business Law, Middle Market and Small Business Committee (2015-2022), Member (2006-present)
Chair, GPS, Business Advice and Financial Planning (2011-2012)
Liaison – Business Law, State Regulations of Securities Committee (2010-2012)
Chair – YLD Business Law Committee (2007-2008)
Chair – YLD, Real Property, Probate and Trust Committee (2006-2007)
Chicago Association for Business Economics (CABE), 2015-2017
President of the Board
Chicago Booth Alumni Club, University of Chicago (2010-2013, 2016-2017)
Director (2010-2013, 2016-2017)
Economics and Public Policy Forum, Chicago Booth Alumni Club, 2011-2016
Program Chair and Moderator for over 30 programs
DePaul University, Chicago IL (2006-2008, 2010)
Adjunct Professor, Analyzing Leadership Course
Recent Developments and Business Necessities in Deal Terms for Mid-Market M&A Transactions, Panelist Speaker, American Bar Association, Spring 2022
Women in Entrepreneurship, Panel Moderator and Program Coordinator, CWA, University of Chicago, June 2018
The Nuts & Bolts of LLC Taxation, Moderator, ISBA CLE, Liver Webinar, May 2018
Securities Law for the Non-Securities Lawyer, Panelist Speaker, ABA CLE Program, Middle Market and Small Business, Live Webinar, September 2017
JOBS Act Updates: Critical Changes in Capital Formation Rules, Crowdfunding presentation, Speaker, ISBA Business & Securities Law Section, Chicago, IL, May 2016
Accelerators and Incubators, Their Clients, and the Role of the Lawyer, Co-Chair and Moderator, ABA CLE Program, Emerging Companies, Boston, MA, September 2016
The Basics of LLC Operating Agreements, Capital Contributions – Cash vs. Services segment, Speaker, ISBA CLE Program, Business & Securities Law, Chicago, September 2015
Showcase Program: Minding Your Business – Successful Advising of the Small Business Client, Speaker, ABA CLE Program, Chicago, IL, August 2015
Complex Entity Structures Simplified, Speaker and Program Coordinator, ABA CLE Program, Business Law, Washington, D.C., April 2013
Basic Business Litigation Issues – Helping your client handle and avoid problems, Speaker, ABA CLE Program, GPS, Denver, CO, October 2011
Advising the Small Business, Speaker, ABA Conference, GPS, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, August 2011
Advising the Small Business Client in the Big Commercial Real Estate Transaction Negotiation, Speaker, ABA CLE Program, New York City, NY, August 2008
How to Choose and Handle Your Very First Pro Bono Case, Speaker, ABA CLE Program, YLD, Montreal, Canada, May 2007
Estate Planning 101 – Trusts and Advance Directives, Speaker and Program Sponsor, ABA CLE Program, YLD, Montreal, Canada, May 2007
Playing in the Dirt: Residential Real Estate, Speaker, ABA CLE Program, GPS, San Francisco, CA August 2007
Contract Basics and Beyond, Program Sponsor and Speaker, ABA CLE Program, YLD, North Carolina, October 2007
Accelerators and Incubators, Their Clients and the Role of the Lawyer, Co-Chair and Moderator, ABA CLE Program, MMSB, September 2016
Securities Law for the Non-Securities Lawyer, Planning Committee, Author, ABA CLE Program, Middle Market and Small Business, New Orleans, LA, April 2017 2016
Raising capital for business: Recent changes expand your options, ISBA Business and Securities Law, May 2017, vol. 62, no. 3, 2017
Mid-sized investment advisers and exempt reporting adviser status, ISBA, The Counselor Newsletter of the Business Advice and Financial Planning Council, Feb. 2014
Fiduciary duty of fund investment advisers to investment clients, ISBA Business Advice and Financial Planning, Feb. 2014
Company Web sites: Best Practices for Avoiding Securities Fraud, ISBA Business and Securities Law Forum Newsletter (July 2011)
Regulation D securities offerings, Business and Securities Law Forum Newsletter, ISBA, May 2011
Understanding securities issues for private companies, ISBA, The Counselor Newsletter of Business Advice and Financial Planning, April 2011
Raising Capital for Small Businesses, ISBA, The Counselor Newsletter, Business Advice and Financial Planning, May 2007
Wage Garnishment – Not Just the Employee’s Problem, ISBA The Counselor Newsletter, ISBA Business Advice and Financial Planning, March 2006
Raising Business Capital through Exempt Securities Offerings, ISBA The Counselor Newsletter, Business Advice and Financial Planning, October 2006
Inducted as a Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, 2017
Illinois Rising Star, SuperLawyers 2012 – 2015
Top Women Attorneys, Outstanding Young Attorneys in Illinois, as published in Chicago Magazine, Oct. 2013
Top Attorneys, The State’s Outstanding Young Lawyers, Business/Corporate Law, as recognized in Chicago Magazine, Feb. 2012
ABA Business Law Fellow (1 of 5), 2007-2009
ABA YLD Scholar, GP Solo Committee, 2008
Meals on Wheels Chicago, Executive Board, 2019-present
Chicago Volunteer Legal Service, Volunteer Attorney, 2017-2018, 2006-2008
ChildServ, an Illinois foster care agency, corporate legal work, 2018
Feed My Starving Children in Libertyville, Illinois, Volunteer, April 2018
Social Enterprises – Providing Meaning Through Commerce, Moderator and Program Co-coordinator, University of Chicago Gleacher Center, June 2017
Access Living, pro bono legal work on transportation-related matter, 2017
Sponsored and funded two financial awards for college to graduating seniors at Chicago (CPS) public high school: the Community Builder Scholarship Award and the Excellence in Liberal or Performing Arts Award, 2015
Greater Chicago Food Depository Service Day, Volunteer, March 2012
Consult with and advise Chicago Volunteer Legal Service on estate client matter, 2012
Big Shoulders Fund – Give Back Day, Volunteer, February 2012
Chicago Volunteer Legal Service, Volunteer Attorney 2006-2008
Community Economic Development Law Project: Speaker on Serving on Non-Profit Boards 2006
Small Business Development Center Business Leases; Small Business Issues, 2006-2007
Presentation on commercial real estate leases for a Small Business Development Center (SBDC) in Chicago, 2006
Advised client on and prepared revised corporate governance documents and related board resolutions for Chicago-based nonprofit entity, 2006
Open testate probate estate and prepare and obtain court ordered administrator’s deed for real estate for Center for Disability and Elder Law in Chicago, 2006
State of Illinois November 2005
United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois November 2005